Monday, April 20, 2015

The Benefit Of The Doubt

  Ever come across someone who is a little "slow"? What's you're first reaction? When I encounter "slow" people I try my hardest to be extra nice, I try to be extra patient with them. I try and make up for all the rude people (like my boss) that they encounter and have no sympathy for them at all.
 "T-t-ten dollars on two."
 "Okay." I smiled.
 "Why don't you-u guys have a sign saying it-it's prepay only?"
 "I don't know. I'm sorry." I really wasn't sure what he was expecting me to say, I'm just the cashier. I have no control over whether we have signs or not. And really, I agree with him...We probably should have signs up saying it's prepay only for cash.
 My boss jumped in after he heard me say that. "The pumps aren't prepay." He said rudely.
 "Yeah, only if you have a credit card. He's talking about with cash prepay." I told my boss.
 "Y-yeah. You-u guys should have signs." The "slow" man said, now talking to my boss.
 "Well nobody does that anymore, it's just common sense." My boss shot out.
 "Well, w-when w-w-was the last time you had signs?" The "slow" man asked, not wanting to let this subject go.
 My boss, now more irritated the before just said. "Have a good day." In other words, please leave before you make me really mad.
  The man came back in for his refund then bought two 12oz cans of soda and 12oz of v8. The man was actually grumpy towards me this time, although I guess the first time he was kind of grumpy also.
Once he left for good my boss said, "He was kinda creepy."
 "No, he wasn't, he was just slow." I replied, annoyed my boss had just called someone creepy  for being slow. Nothing he did was creepy. Yeah, he was kinda grumpy, but I would have been too if someone spoke to me with the attitude my boss spoke to him.
  My boss looked at me and smiled. "You always give people the benefit of the doubt." I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders, not really knowing what to say. Then he started ranting about how he doesn't, but that's probably just because he's been burned more then I have. After he finally quit ranting about that he got back on to the original subject. "Well, if he was slow then he was creepy and slow." In other words, like I already said. My boss thought he was creepy, just because he was slow. I just said yeah to it, knowing disagreeing with my boss would have only made him irritated with me.
 It really bothers me that my boss thought this man was creepy just because he was slow. This man was by no means even the slightest creepy. I'm a 20 year old female, cashier who deals with a freakin' lot of creepy men. If anyone knows what creepy is, I sure as heck do. Just because someone is different from you are doesn't give you the right to give them a mean label. Different is good. 
  One thing I've learned from working at this store is you never really know these people. People tend to hide their true selves from others. We tend to only show others a small part of ourselves, only letting people to see what we want them too. I don't know their life story, I don't know how their day really was, I don't even know most of their names. The man who won't quit complaining about everything might have lost his job. The woman who won't smile back at me (by the way this drives me crazy!) someone she was very close to might have just died. The drunk who comes in three times a day to buy beer, lost this baby in a car accident that was his fault. The women who always insults me is battling a messy divorce. The man who is always smiling has cancer. That kid who steals is having trouble at home with his abusive parents. That's why I give, and always will give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't know them, nor their story. It's not my place to judge them. That's God's place.


                                                                                                                                                04-17-2015



No comments:

Post a Comment