Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Livin' Life Sober, I'm Lovin' It!

  "Can you get me the cheapest half pint of vodka you guys have?" A regular customer asks
  I smile. Already knowing the prices of our cheapest, before I start walking back to our half pints and pints we keep behind the counter. "Okay, the McCormick and the Popvo are the same price, $3.19, which one do you want?" I already knew the answer, almost everyone prefers the McCormick over the Popvo, but I ask just to make sure...
  "Uh, the McCormick."
  I smile again because I am right. "That's what I thought. Pretty much everyone wants McCormick over the Popvo."
  "Oh is that what you drink also?"
  "Oh no, I don't drink."
   He gives me the strangest look ever. "You don't drink?"
   I love to smile, and I'm proud of the fact I don't drink so I give him another huge smile. "Nope, I sure don't."
 "Never?" He replies.
 "Yeah, never."
  Once again he gives me the strangest look. "Oh wow! You live life sober! Must be one boring life."
  "Actually, its not boring at all" I say with another big smile, although I'm pretty sure I should have been offended that he just called my life boring, but I'm not.
  He realized what he had just said so he tries and smooth things over. "I'm just kidding, I don't think you have a boring life." Yeah right, I thought.
 
  I have never drank before, let alone get drunk, so I really have no idea what its like, but I don't want to know, why would I want to have a hangover? Headache? No thank you. Dizziness? I prefer to walk straight. Stomachache? No way. Vomiting? Gross, hate it. Nothing about a hangover is appealing to anyone, for good reason too. Maybe to much alcohol is poison, which would explain why people get these affects after drinking to much? I'm pretty sure that's a fact.
  But the reason why I don't drink isn't because of the after effects, I believe drinking in moderation is okay, heck Jesus even made wine. But well first of all I'm 19, so it is illegal for me to drink anyway, second I'm known as "that church girl" and I don't want to be a stumbling block for anyone.
  If you drink, okay that's fine. It's none of my business. I don't judge people who drink, as a matter of fact the guy who told me I have a boring life I used to go to church with, as far as I know he's never gave drinking up, he's not afraid to get drink or even have me ring his beer up. I don't have a problem with it either. It's his life, yes its that simple. I will live my life to the best I can to how Jesus wants me to live it, and be an example to those who don't believe and have a relationship with Jesus Christ, I don't think I can do that drunk, just saying.
  "Oh wow! You live life sober! Must be one boring life." This sentence has stuck with me ever since he said it. Is that really what everyone thinks? Just because I don't drink I have a boring life? Well let me tell you something your wrong. I will admit my life is boring, but not because I "live life sober", but because that's just me, I have no friends, no boyfriend, I work weekends, on my days off I stay at home. Boring is just me, my life isn't interesting, and I hate to break it to you, but drinking isn't gonna make it anymore exciting.

                                                                                                                                                06-17-2014

No comments:

Post a Comment