Saturday, January 24, 2015

What Has Jesus Been Teaching You?

  I'm so glad today is over! It was one busy day! I've been so busy cleaning and stocking things work. At 7:00 I finally got to work the register. I love working the register, so I can talk with everyone.
 There was this one guy that came in, I've seen him before. He's complimented one of my Christian T-shirts, and he told me once how he was letting some missionaries stay at his house. This is a cool guy. He walked up to the register and started talking with me.
 "What has Jesus been teaching you here lately?" He asked me with a smile.
 I was shocked with his question. It was so random how he asked me. I really had no clue what to say to that. My mind was spinning, trying to think of something to say that wouldn't sound stupid I finally managed to say "Uh, not much." I tried and say it quiet because I knew that wasn't the answer he wanted.
 He looked at me, I could see the confusion in his eyes. "Not much?"
 Of course that answer wasn't acceptable. Jesus is always teaching us something, if he's not we aren't listening. I thought about it a few seconds longer and I remember the sixty five dollars from God Will Provide. I didn't explain everything I just simply said "Well, He's been teaching me that He will always provide."
 "That's great! God certainly will!" Then he quoted Matthew 6:33.
  After he had left I kept thinking of how stupid I must have sounded. I barely was able to tell him anything that Jesus had taught be here lately. Then I started thinking how Jesus really hadn't taught me a lot within the past year or so. Why? Because I've been busy. I've been to busy to listen to Jesus' voice.
Luke 10:38-42 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”
But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”
 I'm Martha in this story. I've been distracted with my education, with my work, with my boyfriend, with my family, and with my hobbies. Yes, all of these are good things, but so was the big dinner Martha was preparing. Martha was so busy with the dinner she forgot how important it is to listen to Him. She needed Jesus to remind her to slow down and listen to Him. He is far greater then that dinner she was preparing. In the same way, I think God used this man to remind me of that also. I need to slow down in my busy life and listen more. What has Jesus been teaching you?




                                                                                                                                                  1-24-2015

No comments:

Post a Comment