Tuesday, October 6, 2015

It's Not Your Race

It was my second day at Bi Lo when an Asian woman came through my line. At first glance she seemed nice, but I was wrong.
 Once I finished scanning her items she got her check book out and wrote the check and handed it to me. I looked at it and asked if I could see her ID.
"You must be new." She stated in a nice voice.
 "Yeah, I sure am. Only my second day here."
 The lady next in line started talking with the Asian lady how she liked that we had to see their ID in order to take checks, because someone had once stolen her identity. The Asian lady blew off what the lady in line was saying.
 "You ID every single person who writes you a check?" She asked.
 "Yes, I do. Since I'm new I have to or I'll get in trouble." I thought about opening my drawer and showing her all the checks I took as proof, but I knew that was going to far.
 I really don't remember the rest of our conversation, but more or less she was accusing me of picking her out and IDing her because of her race.
 Yes, I understand you aren't white, but no that doesn't make you special. Someone had to say that. I mean seriously just because you are a different race doesn't mean people are going to treat you different. That is in your head. I was just doing my job.
 What's funny is that that lady was the one with the race issue, not me. I mean yeah I noticed she was Asian, but I didn't treat her any different because of that. I still served her with a smile even when she was accusing me of singling her out.
 Just to get this straight, I don't care what race you are. I'm sorry if that sounded harsh, but really your race doesn't make a difference to me. It doesn't matter what your race is, you could be black, white, Asian, Hispanic, or any other race, that doesn't make a difference. If I'm singling you out, I'm singling you out because you have a bad attitude.


                                                                                                                                                09-24-2015
 

No comments:

Post a Comment