Monday, October 27, 2014

Tom Cain

 About once a month I would find a business card for a health insurance company (trying to recruit me to get a job with that company) on my car. It was always the same business card, I wondered why someone wanted me to work somewhere so bad they are constantly leaving me the business cards on my car, but of course, I ignored them every time.
 This older man came into work one afternoon, wanting to put a flyer on our bulletin board, and to talk with my boss about putting a big flyer on the window as well. He was wearing this blue shirt with a company logo on it. The logo was actually driving me crazy, I knew I had seen it somewhere I just couldn't remember where. We talked for a few minutes, I of course told him it was okay to hang the flyer up on the bulletin board. Then he started talking about how he had talked with one of my co-workers but couldn't remember who. I told him it wasn't me, I have a pretty good memory I knew I would have remembered this.
 "Oh, I know it wasn't you. I could never forget you." He said that in a very low tone that made my skin crawl. Creepy, creepy old man. He finally left and I looked at that flyer he had hung, then it hit me. That business he was promoting was the same business on those business cards! I felt accomplished. I had finally figured out who was leaving them there!
 A few months had passed and I forgot all about this "accomplishment" until he came two weeks ago.
 "Hello, I'm just stopping in to say hi," He said as he was walking up to the register. Once he was there, he handed me the same business card he had been leaving on my car. I pretended to be interested in this part time job he was offering me. Apparently, I have such a great attitude, he really wanted me to work there. Finally I told him I would think about it then give him a call if I was interested. He informed me it was okay to text him instead. Then he asked for my number, so he would be able to reach me. I didn't give it to him, he has no reason to need my number, unless I contacted him. He left and well that's where I'm at today.
 Let me say a few things. Thanks for the job offer, but no thanks. If I was interested I probably would have let you know the first time you left your business card on my car, or maybe the second time? The third? How about fourth? I'm not interested. I'm so glad you finally got the hint that your cards weren't working though. Maybe now you'll quit messing with my windshield wipers so you can make sure your business card doesn't fly away...
 Why would you ask me for my number anyways? That's weird. Definitely not professional. I'm pretty sure you're just a creepy old man who thought of a "clever" way to try to get my number...



                                                                                                                                                10-27-2014

No comments:

Post a Comment