Saturday, July 18, 2015

Reasons Why Having My Sister For My Manger Isn't Always Awesome

  Having my sister for my manger is something I love to tell other people. And of course, I always get "Wow, that's awesome!" Yes, in fact it is awesome, but not always.

1. Drama. Yes, I know. Drama will be found any workplace, but not only can I have co-worker drama, but family drama can get mixed in as well. Thankfully, my sister and I have a drama free relationship for the most part, but it does in fact occasionally slip in though.

2. Requesting Days Off. If I want a day off all I have to do is ask and I'll get it. Awesome right?! It would be, if that was how the real life worked. Unfortunately, because of my sister being the manger I can't just ask for any day off, I'm not going to ask for for a day off that will put her in a bind. For example if I ask for one Saturday off she acts like it's a complete inconvenience, and really it is. So I'm not going to ask for a Saturday off because I don't want her to get upset that I'm asking for a day off that I know there isn't anyone to replace me.

3. Misunderstandings. Since the manger is my sister I expect things that I probably shouldn't. Last year I wanted to have my birthday off, but I didn't ask for it off because my sister is the manger and of course she's going to let me off on my birthday. Wrong. This misunderstanding only caused hurt feelings for the both of us.

4. Quitting. Sometimes it's just time to find another job, so you tell your manger like a normal person expecting your manger to tell your boss, like a normal manger, but no since this manger is your sister you have to tell your boss because she knows your shy, and wants to teach you not rely on others to have awkward conversations for you. Fun...

5. References. Looking for another job? Guess who you can't use as a reference? That's right, your manger (who knows you do an awesome job) because she just so happens to be related. Well dang.

 Other then these five reasons, having my sister as my manger is awesome. The awesomeness of having a sister for a manger definitely outweighs the not so awesome parts. I absolutely love being able to work with my sister, I am greatly going to miss it especially since this is the only way I get to see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment