Sunday, December 7, 2014

Gossip

  I realized a few days ago one of my many bad habits... Gossip. I really do love to gossip, I love telling other people things about people that I've found out.
  The other night a lady came into the store and gave me some juicy gossip on her ex-boyfriend, my boyfriends co-worker, and one of my customer. Ash calls him "dreadlock kid".
  From the second dreadlock kid's ex-girlfriend told me what she told me I was already super excited about telling Ash this rumor. This was some good stuff! I almost texted Ash the rumor. As I was tying my text something stopped me. My conscience... It felt like what you see on the cartoons, the devil on the left side of the shoulder, with an angel on the right one.
  Devil: "You should tell Ash and your boyfriend! They will get a kick out of this rumor!"
  Angel: "You know you shouldn't gossip."
  Devil: "Gossip? Psh! What's the big deal?"
  Angel: "You know you're suppose to be lifting others up. Gossip is the opposite. You lower them down when you spread rumors like that."
 Devil: "You're not lowering him. You're just gonna tell a good story about him. Everyone expects something like that from him anyways."
 Angel: "Why are you gonna tell them the story? Why do they need to know? Does it effect them? If it doesn't you telling them will lower him."
 Devil: *Speechless*
 Sorry if that was a lousy example, but you get the point. That was my thought process and that last line the angel used was what made me realize that there is no way to sugarcoat gossip it's still wrong. It's so easy to get caught up into gossip, but I need to work on building people up instead of lowering them.
 Ephesians 4:29 NLT Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
 This verse really stuck out to me when I first read it. I know it was probably talking about cuss words but I think it can be used about gossip just as well. Making sure that everything I say is encouraging is part of not gossiping. When I tell someone a rumor that isn't encouraging anyone. It's only lower them.




Verses To Ponder:  

Titus 3:2 NLT They must not slander anyone and must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone.
Proverbs 11:13 NLT A gossip goes around telling secrets, but those who are trustworthy can keep a confidence.




                                                                                                                                                12-03-2014

No comments:

Post a Comment