Tuesday, December 16, 2014

It's Just a Penny

 "Okay, your total is $20.64."
 "Okay, here's the twenty." He paused, handing me the twenty dollar bill. He looked at the of the cash in his other hand and put in back in his wallet. "Let me see if I have the sixty four cents." He dug his hand in his pocket looking for change. I glanced at the line and saw two other people waiting behind him.
 "Okay." I said annoyed. He knew I was about to close, yet he was still taking as long as possible.
 Finally, a minute later he pulled out a handful of change. He moved his fist full of change towards me. I started to grabbed sixty five cents.
 "Yeah, you can get it." He said like he didn't want me to at first. As I was putting the money in the cash register, I glanced behind him and saw five people in line now.
  "Have a good night." I fake smiled. He just stood there like he still wanted something. "You gave me back exact change." I reminded him.
  "Well, not exactly." Once he said that I realized that I shorted him a penny. Oops, shame on me. I opened the register in a hurry, I grabbed two pennies on accident and handed them to him. "It was sixty four cents, I gave you sixty five.You only owe me one penn..." I cut him off talking to the next customer in line.
  "Is that it for you today?"
 I felt pretty awesome for doing that. He knew I was suppose to be closed right now, yet he was still taking his time, and he made a big deal over a freakin' penny. I mean come on, it was just a penny. I felt like he deserved me being a little rude to him. I had a line, I was already suppose to be closed, I wasn't gonna waste anymore time with this guy who obviously had no consideration for my time. That was my thought process at the moment. I realize now, even though it was just a penny I shorted him, I should have apologized and meant it. I'm suppose to be like-Christ. I need to be an example for this lost and dying word, even if that means being nice to people who have no consideration. In the same way pennies always add up to something bigger, so does small things I do to be an example. Everything I do makes a difference someway or another.



                                                                                                                                                12-12-2014
                                                                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment