Friday, December 19, 2014

Never a Dull Moment

  I'll be honest, I don't have very many exciting stories to tell. I work at a grocery store. Yes, it can be as boring as it sounds. Very little happens where I work that is actually interesting or exciting, but yesterday afternoon, something interesting happened at work. Something that I would have never expected. The police came into the store I work at, fully armed.
 My day started out as a normal Thursday, until three o'clock in the afternoon. I looked out the window and saw a tan police blazer with its lights flashing red and blue, driving on the road right next to my work. I wondered where they were going. Next thing I know, I saw them pull into the parking lot! What the heck are the police doing here I wondered. There were three of them. They got out of the blazer extremely fast, then ran into the store shouting, "Police!" They each had their guns lowered like they were ready to use them at any moment. I can't even describe how confused I was at that moment. As far as I knew no one here had done anything even remotely wrong. One police officer shouted and asked if anyone was in the back of the store. I answered him and told him there was someone there. My sister was in the back of the store, working. They started to search the store. They split up, searching the small store, each one took their own aisle. They were headed to the back of the store. I knew there was nobody in the store except for my sister, the owner's dad, my boyfriend and myself. Of course, they didn't know that. As they were searching the store, my heart was pounding, I was scared. I was scared because my sister was in the back of the store. She didn't know police was in the grocery store; I bet you anything that was the last thing on her mind. This might sound silly, but I kept thinking of all the news stories and movies that showed an innocent civilian getting shot because the police didn't expect them. I was scared my sister would end up wounded, or worst dead. Exactly like the people on those shows. I know that probably doesn't happen very often, but the thought still crossed my mind. I was still very concerned. My boyfriend must have seen the concerned look in my eyes, he moved closer towards me and touched my back. Unfortunately, his comforting touch didn't help me any. I was relieved when I saw the police coming back to the front of the store without anyone. My sister turned out just fine.
 The whole event took less than ten minutes. The police found nobody, just as I expected. They said they were looking for an armed suspect who was wearing a blue vest. The suspect had been seen in the area, so they decided they needed to check out the grocery store I work at. They asked me if I had seen anyone fitting their vague description. I thought back, trying to remember seeing someone wearing a blue vest, but my mind was blank. I see so many customers in one day, someone in a blue vest isn't going to stand out to me. I remember people’s faces, not their clothes. Later on that day my sister reminded me of a customer who comes in regularly, came in wearing a blue vest. I remembered seeing him once she had mentioned him. I specifically remember he got six dollars’ worth of gas. Then he wished me a merry Christmas. I would be lying if I said I was surprised that this person is a suspect. The rumor is he is a drug dealer.
  Maybe this story wasn't as exciting as you might have expected it to be, but I found it very exciting. The whole thing seemed like a scene from a movie. It was that crazy. Sometimes I need stories like what happened yesterday, just to remind me my job isn't boring. Actually, after that, I am doubtful I will ever complain about having a boring job. This event made me realize that in reality I probably have a more eventful job than a lot of people do. Simply because I deal with hundreds of people each day, hundreds of crazy, dramatic, eventful people. People are full of events, which somehow manages to make my job just a little more exciting, sometimes.



                                                                                                                                                12-11-2014

No comments:

Post a Comment